Dr. Salim Awadh
POSITIONS HELD AFTER GRADUATION
- 1975 Internship, Medical, Surgical Rotation at Abu Dhabi.
- 1976- 78 Rotation in Out-patient Departments, Abu Dhabi
- Saadiyat Island and Khazna Clinic (General Medical Officer).
- 1978- 79 Department of Medicine, Al Jazeira & Central Hospitals, Abu Dhabi — Medical Officer.
- 1979 – 83 Scholarship to U.K. for M.R.C.P.
- SHO rotation in Medicine, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle (Prof. D.N.S. Kerr).
- MRCP Part— I Passed.
- SHO in Nephrology (Dialysis Renal Transplant, CAPD). In Freeman Hospital (Prof. Wilkinson).
- -83 Rotation in Medical Specialities every 6 months in 3 Hospitals Nov. in Newcastle in .
- Neurology with Prof. Walton
- Haematology with Dr. Proctor
- Gastroenterology with Dr. Record
- Endocrinology with Dr. Anderson
- Rheumatology with Carson Dick
- Diabetology with Prof. Hall.
1983 Nov — Apr. Registrar in Medicine & Gastroenterology R.V.I. — Newcastle. Participated in Research and Teaching programme in the — University of Newcastle — undergraduate and postgraduate teaching For MRCP Examination 1984 May. Al Jazeira & Central Hospitals, Abu Dhabi – as Specialist ‘A’ in Medicine — worked with . Prof. Farhan Bakir- Chest and Medicine
Dr. Omran Gatee — Endocrine & Diabetes Dr. Rodyta & Dr. Musaad — Gastroenterology. 1988- 93 Consultant ‘B’ in Medicine and Gastroenterology. Responsible for a Unit of Gastroenterology.
Doing Endoscopies 3 x week. 15 — 20 endoscopies / day Diagnostic including Therapeutic, Sclerotherapy, Removal of foreign bodies. Injection of bleeding ulcers 50 cases/year. Colonoscopies and Polypectomies 100 — 150/year. Gastroscopies 1500 — 2000 cases/year. 1993 Nov. Promoted to Consultant ‘A’, Head of Endoscopy & Laser Unit, Al Jazeira Hospital.
- Undergraduates from Al Ain University & Junior Doctors
- Graduated from other Universities.[ajman-dubai]
- Postgraduates teaching for MRCP, ECFMG Board Examination.
- Member of Board of Examination for Recruitment, Abu Dhabi, 1988.
- Teaching for Arab Board — September 2000.
- Participant in MRC study of Hypertension in U.K. and Glomerulonephritis in Newcastle.
- Multicentre Trial of Ranitidine — World study on Peptic Ulcer Disease.
- Study of Respiratory Infections in cold season in Abu Dhabi — Dr. Farhan.
- Non A, n on B Hepatitis in the UAE — incidence, treatment.
- Treatment of Hepatitis C with Interferon- Regular, Pegylated Interferon + Ribavirin
- Hepatitis B infection in Abu Dhabi — Use of Pre s vaccine with Lamivudine therapy (under publication).
- Hepatitis C genotype study among UAE Nationals (under publication).
- Viral Hepatitis Management — Standards for the future — Cannes — May 1992.
- Current trend in chronically evolving Viral Hepatitis Pisa — October 1992.
- Hepatitis Paris — 1993 June.
- Barcelae IJnited Eropea Gl 19th July to 24 — 1993.
- Barcelona 1993 July — European Gastroenterology week.
- Digestive Disease Conference — Amsterdam — 1991 July.
- New Advances in Gastroenterology — Berlin — 1992 February.
- First United European Meeting — Athens — 1992 September.
- World Congress of Gastroenterology — Sydney — 1990 August.
- l.Conference — Dubai — 1989- Lectured on Hepatitis C in U.A.E.
1) Cambridge Conference on Blood Lipids — July 1988
2) Treatment of Hypertension — 1989 September., Abu Dhabi.
3) Role of Beta Blocker in Myocardial Infarction 1985 November — Dubai.
4) Postgraduate course in Cholesterol Metabolism — 1992 December, Abu Dhabi. The cellular and Molecular Biology of atherogenesis, cholesterol transport and lipoprotein metabolism.
HONORARY VISITOR :
- Houston Medical Centre — 1993 December
- Pittsburg Liver Transplant Centre, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.- Participated in ward round, Liver Transplant Procedure and follow-up for 4 weeks with Dr. Vanthiel.
MEETINGS AND OTHER SOCIAL FUNCTIONS :
- Chairman of Peptic Ulcer Disease with new drug 1993 — Sheraton, Abu Dhabi.
- Round Table Discussion on Peptic Ulcer in Egypt 1992 May and in in Damascus in 1993 with Gastroenterologists from Gulf States & U.K.
- Round Table Meeting with Dr. Cockel from Birmingham university[dean] in UAE, Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah —advances in endoscopy January 1993.
- Round Table Discussion on Liver Disease — Dr. Muller, Germany — introduction of interferone in the UAEJune 1993.
TRAINING PROGRAMMES :
1 ) Training in Endoscopy, Colonoscopy for 6 months — Newcastle — 1983 — Dr. Record.
- Training in Therapeutic Endoscopies & E.R.C.P. — Cockel — 1991, Birmingham.
- Training in Endoscopy in Germany — Prof. Shofhendra (Hamburg) in ERCP and Sclerotherapy- June 1991 .
- Training in Gl Endoscopies in France — St. Lourent Duva with — Prof. Rey — 1986 January.
- Training in Laser Therapy Endoscopy and Bronchoscpy Prof. Krishna Rao — India, July 1993.
- 12/9 — Training in ERCP in Brimmingham for 2 weeks — Prof. Cokel.
- Leivune Transplant Centre training in follow up transplant & Biopsies 20 June to 1 August 2004, Belgium.
- 05 — 09 — 2000 : Teaching Students for Arab Board — one week course — U.A.E.
- Attended workshop in Therapy Endoscopy Prince Wales Hospital, Hongknong, 1991, Dec. 1992 December.
- Workshop on Endoscopy, Abu Dhabi, 1991 with Dr. Roy Cockel.
- A.E. Delegate in WHO Estern Mediterranean Regional Workshop on Epidemiological Surveillance of AIDS, July 1991 — NICOSIA.
- First Asian workshop in Therapeutic Endoscopy July 97 — Aug. ’02 University of Santo Tones, Manila.
WEEKLY FUNCTIONS IN HOSPITAL :
- 2 days endoscopy regular / day emergency.
- 1 day ward rounds (Grand Round).
- 3 days Medical & Gastroenterology Clinic.
- 1 day Medical Meeting (Secretary & Co-ordinator).
- of endoscopies 15 — 20 / day.
- of patients in clinic 50 — 70 Iday.
- of in-patients and ICU 10 — 15 [day.
- of Liver Biopsies 5 — 10 / week.
- of Liver Patient on Interferon seen in Clinic 70
- Performing ERCP with Dr. Rokyta, twice a week.
- Monthly meeting for G.l. Club in Abu Dhabi and monthly meeting in Dubai for G.l.
- division of E.M A. (Clinical presentations, lectures).
- Member of Pan Arab Gastroenterology Association & Elected President 20032005.
- Member of European club of Enteroscopy (June 1999).
- Member of Quality Control Committee, Al Jazeira Hospital, Abu Dhabi.
- Member of the Afro-Arab Association for the Study of the Liver.
- Elected President of Emirates Medical Association — Abu Dhabi.
- Member of National Aids Committee — Ministry of Health — U.A.E.
- Member of International Society for Infectious Diseases.
- European Club of Endoscopy — June 1999.